Dark Wars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter Two: The Auran.

+12
Penthar
Kath
Starlyght
Mathias
Mistress-Inu
Chi
daccat
Erin
xxcalciferxx
Admin
Nick
TaiKitsune
16 posters

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Chapter Two: The Auran. - Page 9 Empty Re: Chapter Two: The Auran.

Post by Mistress-Inu Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:11 am

((She returns! :] ...Briefly, anyway.))

Vanity was automatically set to waiting patiently throughout the three's conversation. She took that moment to adjust the furs onto her shoulders more, wrapping it a bit closer to herself as she felt a low breeze approaching. Winter's becoming a bit harsher than I thought. Need to be careful, then. Vanity shuddered at the thought of being cold, literally physically. That was always one of her worst nightmares, having her warm skin chill even the slightest.

She cast a look over to the now moving Pestilence to change the subject for herself. Slowly, her brows lifted a bit, and she tilted her head slightly to the side, watching the horse. Of course even she knew he wasn't a mortal animal, but his appearance still struck her... as surprising, shocking. If she didn't know any better, Vanity thought she might have felt a hint of admiration for the creature. Odd. An angel taking interest in a filthy demon animal.

As Sachieal "introduced" Histlan and Calcifer to his steed, Vanity felt giggles ready to pounce in her throat, a grin lighting her face. Perhaps Pestilence wasn't as well-behaved as she was hoping and thinking.

Mistress-Inu

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:17 pm

((Nemes))

Offering the nymph to ride behind him, Nemes steered the large horse through the moving mass of soldiers, all the while revealing the secrets and true purpose of their journey, all in hushed tones so as that no one could hear. Nemes felt relief; he knew much of Starylight’s people in the snowy lands of the north, they were highly spoken of in Eslin, and had earned the respect and trust of the highest Eslinian council, he was more than happy to have Starlyght here to help, if her powerful and efficient army was now present to aid in the fight, it was not something he regretted, and felt her presence alone was enough. “We do not have the best men of all the Lumerian armies with us, My Lady…” He warned, wanting to bring to her attention the possible dangers. “It is purposely so, for the less interesting we are to the enemy, the less likely they would pay us any attention as they concentrate on the battles at hand… however, as you know, there are also umbrovians here, and if all are trustworthy, I cannot say. No one knows of the Auran’s presence, they all believe this simply to be the protection and transport of mere political figures, and only yourself, a warrior of the name Origin, now a guardian of the Auran, and a handful of other captains are aware… but even they don’t know which one of these civilians is the Auran.” He gestured to the wagons, within were children and adults of a variety of ages. Anyone one of them could pass as the possible Auran, as there was no way to detect which one was the powerful being. Not even by his or her Aura.

Nemes’s voice was even lower now. “But I care for you to know… Starlyght…” He used her name for the first time, affirming a stronger bond and trust now. “I want you to aid the Guradian in watching her… and of course fight as well, whatever role you please. But I certainly need an extra pair of eyes to watch over little Leyla. I hope this is not too much to ask?” The now rode at the wagon where both Leyla and Origin were. Nemes descended from the horse to walk alongside it, leaving the choice to Starlyght; if she chose to enter the wagon now, then she too would be Leyla’s Guardian… if she continued to ride, he would ask of her no more.

((Odei))

The peak of a tall pine tree’s bark groaned loudly, threatening to snap under the heavy weight of Odei, the smoky, rippling blackness of his wings spread wide as he balanced on his swaying perch for a moment’s pause from flight to observe the moving mass below. They were not moving fast enough, he felt, he had sounded the horn about an hour ago, and still at his height the glitter of Ahila’s town was visible in the distance. Below he could see many soldiers talking… even Nemes himself was too busy with the newest addition. Odei and the other leaders were certain that there was no fear of attacks in this region; it was Lumerian territory, and any sightings of Umbrovians were days away… still it was no reason for them to relax so freely. It was best that the members of the regiment socialized, got more acquainted – but not now, when they should be silent and careful.

The tree swung to and fro violently as Odei took to the air again, sending snow crashing to the ground. Passing along the lines, hovering momentarily above each officer and captain (startling quite a few soldiers in the process with surprise) giving orders that they take their roles seriously, or their new, high ranks would indeed be short lived. He did not mean the threat, but it was enough to send them into an alert frenzy to maintain order and to get the people moving. He spotted Sachi, and the usual group of soldiers that always seemed to be around him, and flew to his side to land skillfully next to the officer, wings fading like mist. He spoke directly to Sachi, though his words were meant for all of them. “Not exactly the time to socialize, is it? I rather we move along faster; we ought to pass the woods by late noon where we will be able to find flatter, clearer land for camp...” Odei did not intend to sound patronizing nor break up their conversation, in fact he realized that even up to this point, he personally did not know anyone within the regiment, save for Sachi and Histlan, and even these two he did not have the chance for a meaningful introduction nor conversation, but indeed they would be better off having discussions as they camped, rather than now. “If we pass the woods in time, we would even have some time left for training… not all these men are skilled fighters… and I think it our responsibility to teach them…” he continued, looking up at the taller man.

((Hurst))

Hurst felt he could finally breath only after Chi released the man… and it was then that he realized that they spoke the same language. However, he was too weary of captains and officers to even notice the physical similarities between the two. The crowd suddenly seemed to be urged into a faster pace by the calls and barks of the officers. He looked at the stranger. “Ok, I got it, you two know each other but we need to get a move on… if you’re going to talk over this, please do but while walking…?” He pulled at the Yeidin band around Chi’s arm, desperately urging her to move. “But just talking, right? No need for violence… lets save that for the enemy.” He grumbled.

((We can fast-forward to night if you like guys, just complete your posts then drop me a line when ur ready to move on!))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-11-22

https://darkwars.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlyght Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:41 pm

Though Starlyght always preferred walking on the cold earth, she knew how to ride, and knew plenty of diplomacy. This being so, she readily agreed to the offer and mounted easily behind the general. Her tall stature allowed her easier balance, since her legs could easily grip the large animal's girth. Though warmth was not something she generally sought, the animal's life in direct contact with hers was reassuring. Starlyght had been unsure how Silver would respond to such a situation, but the young fox kit was growing up nicely, and he readily trotted along side the large hooves, keeping a watchful eye out for his master. The strategy the general spoke of was interesting, and though Starlyght had never been one to avoid a fight, she understood his reasoning, especially as he went on to inform her that the most sacred of all life, the Auran, was part of the party. This was worrisome indeed, though she had the wish to ask the general where they were transporting the source, her soldier's training kept her pale lips shut. Her silence was rewarded when he allowed her further into the circle of trust. She did not fail to notice his use of her name, instead of the formalities he had originally called her by.

His request was a troubling one, but the information he had provided her with proved that he understood her power and honor. He had certainly convinced her that the task needed to be done, and Starlyght was only confident in its success if she was involved in fulfilling it. Leyla, what a beautiful name.... The general was then on the ground, seeming to indicate the the child was in fact in the wagon they rode beside. Starlyght spent only a moment looking down at the rolling wooden structure before dismounting gracefully as well. She sent a questioning look to the general, waiting for him to forbid her to enter or some sort of other command. She then enter the wagon, wondering just what she would find inside. Silver refused to be left out, however, and jumped up on the moving target as well.
Starlyght
Starlyght

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-12-09

https://darkwars.forumotion.net/the-alliance-f3/frozen-starlyght-

Back to top Go down

Post by TaiKitsune Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Sachieal laughed at the psuedo-orders Odei gave him. He was polite, but Sachieal got the message loud and clear.

"I agree, sir, we should hurry ourselves. The training would be a nice benefit." He smiled, "I'd like to note however, that getting to know your men...er....women, builds a bond between the members of the group." Sachieal's little bit of teasing probably wouldn't sit well, but the intentions were pure.

"Miss Vanity, let us make our haste." Sachieal moved to assist the girl on top of the demon horse. "Forward, troops!"

TaiKitsune

Male
Number of posts : 156

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistress-Inu Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:46 pm

"Right then." Vanity nodded and let Sachieal help her mount. She didn't like to admit it, but she was a tad too short to do it herself. Quite a few times before, she had failed to even get her foot in a horse's stirrup. Once on Pestilence, however, that vanished from her mind and she flashed a smile to the horse, in hopes of showing she meant no harm and didn't find him the least bit frightening. "Thank you, Sachieal, and Pestilence as well," she said politely, gently patting the beast's side with one hand. Then she carefully secured Mathias's furs to her shoulders; she still had to find him and repay him for the gesture soon.

Mistress-Inu

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 am

((Odei))

‘…getting to know your men, builds a bond between the members of the group….’ Odei’s eyes fell away from Sachieal’s face to blindly stare at the moving troops, lips in a tight line, the word ‘bond’ somewhat harsh in his ears. Odei grew up with the Sagans, forming the closest, most lasting bond with them as the only family he’d known… and there came a day when he had to turn on them and fight them. He then met Aislin, a member of the Roshan Manaar… and that too only ended in tears and blood. Then there were the underground lords of Eslin and their men… and after that Pendragon Manor.

Nothing ever lasted, and now Odei had lost the will to try. He certainly would do his best to find a moment where he would learn more of his troops; it was after all the Sagan way, where the leader was more than just responsible of ordering and steering his men, a leader should protect them the way he would a family member, and do what he could… but Odei knew that any true ‘bonding’ between him and another being was no longer something he was capable of.

It frightened him too much, and the continuity of loss hurt more than the cuts of blades and the burn of spells.

“Mmm.” His voice deep. “But not now. We’re safe from the attack of Umbrovians… but time is still precious. We can… bond… tonight.” He said, a mischievous one-sided grin, and withheld a hearty laugh at the sight of eyes turning to such an odd comment. Speaking of Bonds, there was someone missing all day. “Have you seen Origin?”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TaiKitsune Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:21 pm

Sacheial hopped deftly onto Pestilence, making sure to keep a bit of distance between his body and Vanity's. There's no reason she should be subject to the freezing touch of his skin, the poor girl would die of shock.

He turned back to Odei however, at the mention of Origin's name. "No, in fact, I have not..." Sachieal frowned and thought hard. "I've seen nothing of the girl, as far as I can remember, for quite a while now...."

Sachieal turned back to Vanity, but spoke to no one in particular, "Let us make our way, then." Pestilence knew exactly what was to be done, and moved forward at an even pace. "We'll bond later, then." Sachieal's laugh could be heard far away.

TaiKitsune

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathias Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:23 pm

{'Ere y'go Chi.}

Mathias blinked.

Imposter?

And again, he felt himself blink, puzzled.

Dead? ... 'Tell me something only my brother and I know'!?

"... You impossible creature!" Mathias exclaimed, exasperated. "Is it not enough that your long lost half-brother stumble upon you in the middle of an unforgiving ice-land? But no, of course not, not for darling Chi. Not for Chi, so bullheaded she tried to mask her heritage by clipping back the points of her ears! Not only this," he continued, pushing himself up and out of the snow and dusting the flakes from his furs, "but so damnably stubborn that she refuses her darling brother's suggestion to see a healer, and so bears the scars from it to this day. Well, I can only assume so, given that the only thing I've noticed about my sister is that she's still spitting fire, playing with grown-up toys, and lunging foolishly at things before she's thought them over."

He'd moved away from anger now. Mathias could, somewhat, understand why she'd be suspicious, but he'd adapted to the Elonnahal way of giving vent to emotions as a way to bypass them. And having gotten it off his chest, Mathias felt that old urge to remind her just what it was like to have a 'loving' older brother.

Mathias clucked his tongue and the horse trotted back over to him again. He caught the reins deftly and nodded to the male Chi had been following about (OOC: Hurst, for those of you playing along at home). "This thankless spitting Hellcat's my baby sister," he explained switching back to the common tongue of the camp, which still came to him thick with accent. "I hope she hasn't treated everyone new like this. Name's Mathias. And from what I've picked up, you seem like the sort of fellow that actually might be able to tell me something of use." He paused, then added muttering, "unlike that blond twit from the other night. He was no help at all."

"'Cause if you're taking in this brat, you'll need someone to keep her in line," Mathias continued with a chuckle, jerking his thumb towards Chi. If this was anything like the back-and-forth banter of their childhood, and it was, Chi's temper would be simmering nicely by now. All that was left was to add some spice. And then she'd either leap at him again or storm away in a huff. "Isn't that right, darling sister?" He asked, his voice just dripping with mock-sweetness, and his eyes gleaming with childhood mischief. Deftly he flicked some of the snow from his finger, watching at the tiny clump sailed true and stuck to her nose.

Oh yes... This is going to be all sorts of fun, Mathias thought boyishly.

Mathias

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:04 pm

The widdled end of the halbert seemed like it really did nothing in particular as Histlan walked, her wrist abitually bringing it back and forth in the small area in front of her while its upper portion remained resting on her shoulder, more like it was habit than necessity, but her feet moved much easier with the information it provided. Arshaw's reins in her palm while her fingers held the metal hoop on the underneath of his bridle. Histlan used him just as much for general guidance while trying to lead him as well. It was a complicated relation that she hoped her now named steed would eventually come to understand.

A slight frown was set on her lips as they travelled, there was so much to keep in mind that doubt was always a potential problem. She tried to understand and remember the direction they were going by sensing the area about her, but it was so much harder with the vast sea of people that marched together. Even that, while trying to keep to herself as she kept in mind all the technicalities was more difficult when she felt it hard to concentrate on any one person because there were just so many half thoughts, feelings, complicated emotions and intentions floating around uncommitendly. None of which she wanted to be exposed to currently. It honestly made her feel like she was surrounded by water on all sides. Mostly she was just doing her best to keep the sound of footsteps in mind and keep at pace. It'd been working so far, afterall.

The approach of Odei had caught her a bit off guard but she did not spook so much as Arshaw seemed to whiny unappreciatively of the sudden entrance since he was closer as Histlan kept to the far side of him. She managed to readjust her hand and scratch under the chin with two fingers in a hopefully calming gesture before taking the stronger hold on his bridle once more. "Shh, now." She said quietly to him and kept her and his pace.

Though she did not speak, she listened closely when Odei began to speak. His message quite crisp and clear. They were to pick up the pace, and just like that, the reason she'd kept her steed around came into play. Though covered from sight, Odei's last words about bonding were quite... odd and cause her to arch an eyebrow.
Throwing the reins over Arshaw's head she barely halted when she moved back to Arshaw's stomach and lifted her foot to the stirrup she'd already measured before. She was up in the saddle in time for the question about Origin's location, but had no answer. She'd not seen the girl for days now, since their first verbal encounter, which had actually only been Histlan speaking in the end. He had told her that very morning that the young woman would she be alright. She turned her head briefly in habit towards his voice, wondering for a moment if he'd really actually known if she was, but decided it was unappropriate to doubt him.

Thinking back on it she wondered briefly where Ivaylo had gone to, as well. She had no skill in sensing him currently, but she figured he was around somewhere, currently she was just unsure where, and found it slightly unfortunate. She had to press on though, and even quicker then before so she tried to drop the thoughts and concentrate on travel more.

(Oh and just for the record, I'm ready to move to the night if people want. Unless someone has the urge to interact with Histlan which is also welcome. Point being though, I'm good for whatever.))
Nick
Nick

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2007-11-23

http://www.leighanief.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistress-Inu Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:50 pm

Vanity raised a brow, barely so that it was practically unnoticeable. Her eyes narrowed a tad as she scrutinized Sachieal again, once more pondering the possibility that she may have found the wrong man. The way he spoke to others was too gracious for him to be a demon, and there was that sort of light deep in his eyes—one she of course recognized, being that she'd seen it in her brother's and her own—that still lingered, even if not so noticeable, that tried to convince her something about this was off.

She shook her head, forcing the thoughts to dissipate—until they decided to intrude again. Just be patient. You'll see in time.

For the moment, suddenly, Vanity looked down with an intrigued and curious expression at Sachieal's horse. Smiling a bit, she let her fingertips brush over the beast's hide, saying, "Pestilence seems quite different from normal horses." The word "normal" had a bit of emphasis to it; of course it was obvious Pestilence was no regular animal. "I'm also surprised he's behaving so well. I don't recall you telling him to be gentlemanly for me." She found it amusing, really, that she hadn't been bucked off the horse's back yet. An incident with a demon dog left her remembering that animals of demonic nature didn't fair well with "her kind".

Mistress-Inu

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlyght Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:24 pm

((just twiddling fingers and wondering how origin is going to react, also, is leyla being played by someone or what? I'd be happy to jump once Star gets settled in to the wagon))
Starlyght
Starlyght

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by TaiKitsune Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:09 pm

Sachieal turned to face Vanity as she brushed the animal. Pestilence made a light hissing sound through their mind link, and Sachieal couldn't help but to laugh. "Well, Miss Vanity, Pestilence here is...." Sachieal stopped himself and furrowed his brow for an instant, only to have it replaced by a smile once again. The horse trotted forward at it's normal pace.

Sachieal patted the beasts head, as if to reassure it. "He's not too used to others being around him, he's not but a young one to this realm. To be honest, he's afraid of you." Sachieal laughed once again and nodded to the young lady. "I'm sure the animal pelt you're wearing is bothering him as well." Sachieal scrunched his nose a little, "It reeks of that foreigner, but I'm a patitent one, it doesn't bother me as much." At this, Pestilence made an audible snort, to which Sachieal gave the beast a glare.

"You'll just have to deal with it too, boy, you know you're supposed to behave." Sachieal turned back toward the girl, regarded her with a quick smile, and then, with a look of pure determination, set the demon beast to move faster. "Hold on, Miss, we're going to get to the front."

[[I'm ready to move on, if everyone else is ready.]]

TaiKitsune

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistress-Inu Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:40 pm

Vanity felt her brow raise slightly as Sachieal spoke, glancing every now and then down to the horse with nothing but the most obvious curiosity. This creature was afraid of her? She truly found that difficult to believe, astounding almost. She thought it might have been the other way around. Well, I'll see if I can get to know Pestilence better later, she concluded to herself.

At the mention of Mathias, Vanity blinked and tilted her head to the side a bit, her dark eyes thoughtful. Judging by the way Pestilence reacted to his rider's words, Vanity had the feeling that not everyone in this group would get along as she was normally accustomed to. Albeit, as the horse quickened his movements, she couldn't lie to herself: If conflict arose, she was eager to help extinguish it.

((Ready to go now.))

Mistress-Inu

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xxcalciferxx Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:05 pm

calicifer felt alittle slow as she watched others start to move out.she looked around and decided to use the snow insted of wasting her other water,she put her hands infront of her with her palms facing the ground and the snow started to melt after a minute she swiped her hands to the right then the left and watched as the water gatherd then she formed it into a drangon and hoped on.
xxcalciferxx
xxcalciferxx

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Chi Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:37 pm

Yeah... no doubt about it.
It was Mathias alright.

Though not just because he proved to know the reason behind the wedge-shaped scar on the tip of her left ear, but because of his damnable and incorrigible way of harassing her. And that, if anything, convinced Chi that she was standing in front of her long lost half-brother. Remembering all the mischief they got into together, and how he had stuck up for her when she was little was almost enough reason for her to cast off the usually reserved demeanor and embrace him. Yet as his attention turned to Hurst, it gave Chi a minute to recover. It had been almost refreshing to have his old banter rub her fur the wrong way, but her previous anger had turned cold as she casually wiped the snow from her nose. The way he stood there so casually, as if his disappearance long ago meant nothing, hit a nerve closer to her heart than the one that had numbed her arm.

"Of course, Mathias, so kind of you to show your face again" She cooed in Ahilan so Hurst could understand, yet her eyes held sharp frozen daggers that promised her brother silently that they'd talk about this later. Then turning to Hurst, Chi's armored hand creaked as she clenched her fist about her blade, one last physical display as she reined in her temper, and then released it and let her hand casually remain at her side. "I'm sorry for delaying our departure, Hurst. If you'd be so kind as to lead the way?"

((alright, ready to move on methinks.))
Chi
Chi

Female
Number of posts : 39

http://3019.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:44 am

((Alright guys, I’ve fast-forward to a couple of days ahead, seeing how slow things have been around here – we ought to move this journey a little faster maybe!))

Chapter Two: The Auran. - Page 9 Newsce10

Day five, Gora mountains (Sections G to K -1 on the map).
Time: past sunset, currently camping at the foot of the great northern mountains. (F1)

Chapter Two: The Auran. - Page 9 3276

“…we’re taking the route along the mountains’ base yet not too far from the woods, it would be easier on us as firstly; it’s still within Lumerian territory, so zero chances of waltzing right into a Sudao camp. Secondly less snow fall, and with the help of the few earth masters we have they’re working the weather to our favor.” After explaining the route along the lowest part of the Gora mountains, Odei folded the map, sliding it into a pouch at his side, then looked up at the men and women before him.

Sachieal, Vanity, Histlan, Ivaylo, Calcifer, Chi, Mathias and Hurst all were there along with other soldiers of their group carefully listening to the plans of the first part of their journey. They had been traveling for two days since they’d left Ahila, and with the urges of the captains have finally reached the mountains in good time. During their journey Odei had noticed that the soldiers were growing more accustomed to their captains and officer’s expectations, and a bond was slowly growing between the various groups of men. This particular group seemed destined to stick together from the start, and now Odei himself was making an effort to learn more about the men and women who were apart of his team.

“Starting tomorrow, everyone needs to be constantly on full alert. Locals have warned us of the creatures of the woods who would not hesitate to climb the mountains if they sensed pray –meaning us – and though we cannot sense any Sudao at the moment, there’s no guarantee that they’re not about. Further more, we’ll be having training sessions…” Odei lifted a hand to silence the exasperated grumbles of soldiers hiding behind the line of people before him who did not flinch at the thought of further work. “Yes, yes I know, you’re all tiered from the journey, but there are certain arts that will help you survive. Firstly, some of you do not even know how to wield weapons, and there will be times when you might not be able to rely on your magic. There are spells for shielding energy that could protect you from magical blows and blades, the symbols you had already been taught in Ahila will be twice more effective with a shielding spell…”

Odei was interrupted as one young soldier asked when they were expected to train, for by the end of each day they were ‘too tiered’. Odei smiled as if talking to a child, rather enjoying the young man’s dismay – they still did not get it; on this journey the only thing that whining would get them was death. “Trust me, after a good night’s sleep you’ll have the energy for it before the break of dawn, that’s when your superiors will be kicking you awake and readying you for the training.” And with that, he dismissed the crowd, and looking up at his team, odei huffed. It would be easier if the rest of the men were as determined and ready as were this handful of soldiers.

Hurst lifted a hand as if a child to a mentor. “Erm… sir… and breakfast?” Odei turned to Hurst with a silencing glare. Hurst had already broken a few rules in the last few days, one having dragged in a new girl into the regiment when the rules were that they would not accept anyone new. On the first night of the journey, Hurst came running up to Odei, begging that he allow Chi and Mathias to officially become part of the regiment, Hurst ever confidant that since he and Odei were the best of friends, the captain would be more than ready to bend the rules.

Odei’s first response was a flat ‘No.’ followed by much whining on Hurst’s part. But it was only when Odei remembered that Nemes himself allowed a new member to waltz into the regiment, did he finally smile and bid the two newcomers welcome into his team, making the officially Yeidin. Hells, if the General was so ready to break the rules, why not he?

By now everyone was more or less ‘at home’, settled, knowing their roles, and the mission of their journey to transport the families to the safe territories of Eslin, so far away.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Listening very closely, Histlan wished she could actually see the map for herself, but hearing out the plan would have to suffice, sure that it was equivalent to a fair number of soldiers near the back of the group since they too could probably only hear, whether or not it was what they wanted. It seemed from here on out things would be getting tougher, and she'd have to handle that accordingly. There was no turning back now, unless she wished to travel back 5 days to Ahila and make herself a new plan of action, and that option held no pull over her. It was just as much as she wanted to be of help, she wanted even more to not be of hindrance and that was always a worry to her. It was, however, a concern that had helped her push on this far in her life and it seemed fate had landed her there, so it was here she'd play the cards life had dealt so far.

She titlted her head slightly so that she could hear what the younger soldier was saying most clearly. His words were a bit unexpected and she had to assume he thought himself very capable if he didn't understand that time for training must be found. As independant as Histlan was, she did not want men and women who potentially did not know how to use the sword in their own hands, to be watching her back during any conflict that may arise. Though she was disgruntled with the notion of anyone daring to kick her awake, she felt glad she normally woke up before dawn anyhow, if for some reason she was not up, a shout at her tent would suffice and she'd make that clear to anyone who thought otherwise... in as civil of a way she thought appropriate, of course.

It was the prospect of having to learn spells that made her feel uncomfortable rather then the early morning training. She listened to the answer, to Hurst's inquiry though, or rather lack of answer which seemed to add some tension between the two, she was unsure why. Not knowing Hurt's antics over the past couple of days but she felt it none of her business.

She had her own issues to deal with, like why she couldn't stop weaving a coin across the top of her gloved knuckles. As good of an exercise for dexterity as it was she must have done it a thousand times by now, including through all of Odei's instructions. Whenever she left her hand idle though there was a faint but irritating burning sensation in her palms, and even occupying one helped. Her other hand rose up and pushed some dark and blonde hair back into her hood before he adjusted the hood itself and then turned to regard the men who sauntered off now that they'd been dismissed, wondering idly how she'd occupy the rest of the night.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 pm

All that remained of the large group of people huddled around Odei and his map had now come down to the eight usual faces of what was his self-proclaimed ‘team’. Though he was done with instructions, they still remained seated on the ground, tending to their own things, warming themselves by the fire, or talking, such as Hurst who went off into a merry verbal diarrhea to the newcomers, Chi and Mathias… some babble about the woods at the foot of the Gora mountains and of the terrifying spirits and creatures who lived there. How accurate that information was a mystery to Odei, for to him these grounds were completely foreign, and only followed the instructions through Nemes’s guidance.

It took much effort to remain seated with the rest of them and Odei’s mind whined to have him rise and find something else to do or sleep; finding it somewhat difficult to hold a conversation, or to listen to their own talks or simply just to socialize… he chuckled inwardly, remembering his boisterous, perky self of the past, and could not understand the current involuntary distancing of himself, the silence and lack of interest in others. He knew it was not right though, and decided to shut his moods lest should he sink further into his own solitary world.

“Obsidian brought back the animal, Histlan, last night… Origin agreed to make the gloves… though it would take some more time to complete.” He addresses the girl quietly as the rest talked among themselves, not forgetting the gloves he had promised her. He had kept an eye on her over the past few days, studying her, and wondered how could she fare out on this journey. He also wondered about the darkness within her, and why she could not use it to ‘see’. “In the past it was somewhat of a taboo to simply ask another of their dark origins, as if asking them to reveal a dirty secret. I myself needed to keep my marked arm hidden for years. Now time have changed, and I would ask you openly about yours… no offence intended nor nosiness, mind you…” he waited for a moment, allowing her to put an end to the conversation if should she feel uneasy about discussing it. When she still remained silent, he continued, studying her face and expression so closely that he did not notice the crow form of obsidian coming to perch on his shoulder. “… but can’t you use your darkness to see?”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Histlan's attention had been in the direction of the parting men, to where ever they were bound to be sleeping probably, or one of the many other fires around the area to be sure. She shifted slightly, deciding perhaps it'd be best if she found a quiet secluded spot where she could perhaps relax and read the book she'd packed, it might have been one of the fewer times when she wasn't just simply ready for sleep after a long day.

It was before she'd moved more than just setting her hand on the halbert lying on the ground next to her, to take and go that she heard the words that only really clicked once she'd heard her name. Glad at least that people weren't assuming she'd know they were speaking to her without indicating so. She brought her attention both mentally and by physcially turning her torso and head back over to Odei with a different alertness that hadn't really been present while she mulled over her own thoughts.

He spoke quieter then she expected, but that mattered little thanks to her heightened hearing, she could afterall hear much of Hurst's rambling about the ghosts, spirits and beasts, but she'd gotten fairly decent at channelling one person out and another one in over the many years. Still... she pulled the side of her hood closest to the other man over more to hopefully block out all she could without covering her actual ear with a palm. She listened to him very closely, though as he broke the ice for his inquiry with the 'taboo' comment, a dread for where the conversation might end up came to settle in her gut. Her face changed little at first, but the coin rolling over her fingertops fell to the hard ground. Her attempt to catch it again had failed and she picked it up, rubbed it on her palm before putting it in a pocket instead of back to her hand where it'd been for the past hour or so.

At the longer pause her lips parted somewhat and she made as though to say something, but what exactly did not come to either mind or tongue and she ended up just taking a deep breath as he asked his actual question. "I..." She frowned somewhat and small crinkles on her nose emerged as her face responded to what seemed to be a hard thing to say. So as to at least say something she moved back to the first topic quickly, "Again, thank you for the trouble you've gone through for the sake of these gloves."

As her stall topic ended far too abruptly, and she wondered how she thought it would do anything more, she sat up straighter trying her best to remain well composed, though it was probably clear to Odei she was at least slightly uncomfortable, since he was watching so closely. How closely she was actually unaware of, had she known she'd of probably felt even more uncomfortable, or at least not be able to hide it as well. "I suppose... I am just not very... close to the darkness inside me." She responded, clearly trying to pick her words carefully. "To a small degree, I do perhaps... sense through it, but it..."

She let out a single 'heh', breaking off what she'd been saying, which doubled as a sort of sigh, but Histlan seemed to have found more ease of talking once more. "I've truly never had someone simply ask so bluntly before." The woman admitted with an 'in spite of it all' sort of humour underlying her tone, which when you knew her decently well seemed to be habit of hers when in certain situations.

Last edited by on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by xxcalciferxx Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:40 pm

calcifer had listend to everything that was said earlier...and couldnt stop thinking about...having to learn how to weild weapons...it was sort of a scary thought to her.her smile had faded when she heard that,and was replaced with an uneasy expression
She sat on the ground and played with a little puddle of water,trying not to think to much of all of what they had said about training.
xxcalciferxx
xxcalciferxx

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 am

Odei smiled slowly at Histlan’s hesitation, and perhaps understood her more than she would ever know; Odei could clearly remember the day his Sagan tribe finally understood that the magic he had learnt as he discreetly snuck out to the golden fields to meet with the waiting warlocks night after night was of a dark kind, and not just any dark magic, but that of the illicit Surdan. He was just sixteen then, and the fear he felt then when so young remained with him for years. It was when Odei had reached his mid twenties as he grew more brave and reckless did he stop fearing for his life and prosecution, learning more of the Surda and using it to his advantage, yet still kept his ‘arts’ hidden for the sake of saving himself the consequences that would follow, and it was only now, when the world had fallen under a civil war between the dark warlocks that he could openly go about revealing his origins without fear nor embarrassment.

But then it was also easier now to be as brave and carefree as that people thought twice before attempting to harass or anger the scarred, frowning warrior.

“I apologize if this is uncomfortable to you, but I suppose neither you nor I should continue to… hide. This war will change the world, it already has, and our ‘kind’ now have a right to exist openly as much as do the others.” He paused a minute before a small chuckle would shake his shoulders, much to the annoyance of the sleeping Obsidian. His voice was low and genuinely kind, as if speaking to a friend he had known for years. “You certainly have no reasons to feel hesitant towards me, Histlan… I’m worse than the whole dark lot of this regiment. I could teach you… how to see, I mean. It will not be the same as seeing through normal eyes, yet you will certainly have more freedom than now.” His voice became more serious as he continued, “… and you will be safer. At least by using your eyes and the dark magic, you will be able to see your attackers during battle rather than having to listen for them… you would be able to see the living things about you by the light and energy of their Aura rather than trying to simply sense them…”

Odei was offering that one small aid, but would not push it on her if she hesitated even for a second for he also understood the difficulties that came with accepting the darkness within one’s self, and how much it meant to simply accept the fact, but also to use it and perfect it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TaiKitsune Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:09 pm

Sachieal sat through Odei's speech. Weapons, well, that, Sachieal could manage. He'd have a bit of a problem not fighting with his fists and his magic, sure. The promise of dead and wounded appealed to his darker side in a very real way.

The young soldier that spoke up seemed to be a bit of a foolish one. Maybe he didn't know what he was getting in to? Well, he'd soon find out how those weapons would work. Sachieal watched curiously as Histlan flipped her coin back and forth across her gloved hand. Still a bit of a strange woman, let us see how she does later on..

When Hurst spoke up, however, Sachieal's attention was torn away. The ire in Odei's voice was very apparent. Perhaps some sort of quarrel had occured between the two? Maybe it has something to do with the foreigners.

As the others cleared, Sachieal took notice that this very group seemed to be a tight knit one. Together, they always seemed to be on their short journey. Maybe we'll stay together till the end of it, as well....

Sachieal leaned back and rested his head on his hands. He watched the ever darkening sky as the others conversed. For now, there is not much for me to say, so I'll sit and enjoy the moment.

TaiKitsune

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Histlan lowered her head slightly, so that her gaze had it been present would not have been on him, but as she listened her brow furrowed and lips tightened into a frown. She suddenly wanted to shoot him down and assure him that she was not of his kind nor ever wished to be deemed as so anymore. It was, however, a want she had not felt in a long time, having found it seemed only to do the opposite of what she liked and brought the darkness in her to surface more, though it stemmed from an old loathing of things that were of Umbrovian nature.

She'd tried to lay that discriminating hate to rest years ago; having been shown it only had made her days darker. One man did not constitute a whole race, was what she'd always had to try to convince herself, but it was not the easiest of tasks. However, Odei's small chuckle and the kind tone of his voice made it easier. She did not wish to offend him really, especially when she felt he was certainly trying to provide her with help, and because of that her frown loosened much quicker then she thought it might, and she lifted her chin once more to direct her attention strictly to him. Where her hesitation had died away more, pride had taken back its place. She lifted up her hands, both taking a side of her hood, but she stopped and left them there for a moment, deciding if she actually wanted to do it. She did after a bit, moving the fur lined edge to sit on top her head instead of draping over it. It honestly felt a bit nicer to have the air against her entire face for the first time in a while, despite its chill. Her hands moved back to her lap though and she made no movement to take the dark red sash that covered her eyes away. As much as it covered, it alone could not hide all the edges of the dark markings around her eyes or the ones that went over her brow, changing the blonde colour of her eyebrows to black where it past over, much of her long bangs obscured the one though. Mostly the gesture was so he could see more of her expression and she'd hopefully communicate better because of it.

She, however, still spoke carefully and in a lower tone now too. "It sounds like what you offer is more of a gift, but…” She tilted her head slightly as she regarded him honestly, “I wonder if perhaps you would not be offering this if you knew that we are not necessarily of the same ‘kind’, or perhaps if I told you that is was the darkness that now resides inside me, that in fact took my sight from me." She took a deep breath but was not deterred by it, "Have you ever heard of a man that after a great injury, gained a hyper-sensitivity to touch? It can be rather unpleasant at times, but it's the only thing I've found that's perhaps comparable to use as an example. It is like what I have now with the arts, it comes and goes but it is often why I know you're around whether or not you've spoken, how I knew that Obsidian was perhaps not just some bird of prey on your shoulder and how I told Ivaylo which way to go to find Origin those first days after the battle and even how I followed him. In the many years I've never understood or controlled it fully but perhaps it is something like what you propose."

She took a moment to pause and just watched him in her sightless way, but she arched an eyebrow and then moved a different way with the conversation. Her tone changing from somewhat factual and pensive to inquiring, “I’m curious, though as to why you offer this to me when as you said there are soldiers who don’t even know how to wield a weapon. I’m sure as Captain you are busy as well. But, you're truly concerned my blindness will interfere with things, aren’t you?” She shifted back to sit more on her behind rather than on her legs and pulled a knee up, rather calmly looking towards the fire as she waited for answers, choosing to decide then whether or not to fret.

Last edited by on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlyght Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:01 pm

Starlyght had listened quietly in the back ranks of the soldiers, her ears being larger than humans', and so easier to pick up Odei's words. The talk of training, both physical and magic, was appealing. She always enjoyed moving and working her mind and body, so that would be acceptable. Perhaps she could earn a bit of respect among the ranks as well, since her odd appearance did bring a fair amount of attention her way. She had only briefly even been around the troops these last few days, since she had spent more time with Leyla. It would be good to get to know others, even if Leyla was the most important.

After Odei finished his speech, and the others moved off, she remained in the area, watching the few others who seemed naturally close to the Captain. He had seemed uneasy about her joining the lines, and she did have some desire to notify him of her origins, perhaps to ease his mind slightly, or perhaps he was the type who wouldn't care where she was from. At times that was preferable, but this was not one of them. He was involved in a conversation with another, whom Starlyght had noticed a few times before. The woman seemed to have some different way of interpreting the world, since Starlyght had 'felt' her eyes rather than seen her using them. To each his or her own though. Starlyght would wait.
Starlyght
Starlyght

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistress-Inu Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:11 am

"Hmm." Vanity tilted her head just slightly to the side as Odei's words sank into her head. She sat on the ground again, cross-legged with her hands on her knees, as always, back straight and unfaltering. She could have been hidden from view thanks to her somewhat petite stature, as well as the animal furs that were draped over her shoulders and around her arms. She had hardly parted with it in the past couple of days; it provided the comfort of Mathias's generosity just as much as the warmth. More hope in the world than I'd thought, she'd continuously said to herself, since Mathias handed the pelt to her. Now it hung neatly over her, almost swallowing her inside them as she sat still as stone, her eyes the only part of her that ever moved. They studied Odei while he spoke, her ears listening intently as he explained his "timetable" to the rest of the camp. Every once in a while she would blink, twice in a row if something struck her as surprising or odd, or maybe even peculiar. The one thing that snagged her attention most was the information on training.

Oh, joyous days have arrived. A smile lightened her pale face. Honestly, that would be quite enjoyable for Vanity, training. She had her name for a reason: She loved boasting quite a bit about her powers, her abilities. Training was a perfect opportunity for that. There was no shame in showing off a bit of her knowledge, right? No true harm could be done.

"Trust me, after a good night's sleep you'll have the energy for it before the break of dawn, that's when your superiors will be kicking you awake and readying you for the training." Vanity exhaled a small huff. "Sleeping..." she murmured to herself. "I've rare use for it." This was true: Though her body constantly demanded rest, Vanity would normally stay awake rather than sleep, but she did so anyway so that she would not lack necessary strength the next day. Her excuse, "It just makes me seem normal" was nothing to state anymore; what here was normal? Only around mortals did she use that excuse, the ones that never believed any species was a higher superiority than their own. "I'll be awake before dawn anyhow."

The thought of sleep made her turn her eyes up to the sky. It wasn't too late, not just yet... She wouldn't have to retreat to shelter any time soon.

Vanity's eyes were still locked onto the faint stars that were slowly beginning to flicker to life when she heard the younger soldier's complaint, and shortly after his:

Weakling.

Vanity's muscles tensed noticeably—she seemed to straighten up more than ever and her arms hugged closer to her body—as the malicious hiss of her own voice penetrated her mind. But then, at the same time, it wasn't hers... At least, that's what she so desperately hoped. She hadn't intended to think that, nor had she thought of any of these people as weak. Must be acting up again. Vanity grimaced and slowly wrenched her eyes shut, letting her hands grip tightly onto the animal pelt. She hunched over a bit and ducked her head; breathe in, breathe out, steady rhythm. Only focus on that for now, she told herself, struggling to avoid feeling any anxiety of what had just occurred. Anxiety fed it: That's where it got its strength, along with her fear. Vanity had taught herself never to become hysterical or overly skeptical, because then this would happen—it would break loose again.

It spoke again, but this time it was a faint whisper, inaudible to even her own ears though it lay hidden within her mind. Her brows furrowed; it was being forced back again, but it was always so difficult. It was persistent. All it wanted was to be let out, and to take and keep control, which it did numerous times if Vanity wasn't careful. Just keep breathing... Think of good... Cats! Cats were always a good thing. Immediately Vanity gripped an image of a litter of kittens, mewing and stumbling over their paws as they tried to walk in a neat, straight line, and she began to feel lighter again. The weight of formidableness was lifted from her mind, and she slowly sat up a little more to blink her eyes open.

"Sleep... might do you good," she told herself. "Lots of it."

Mistress-Inu

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next